Add to favourites
News Local and Global in your language
20th of January 2018

International



US judge dismisses Australian's Michael Jackson child-abuse lawsuit

Los Angeles: A judge has dismissed a lawsuit brought by an Australian-born choreographer who alleged Michael Jackson molested him as a child, resolving one of the last major claims against the late singer's holdings.

Judge Mitchell Beckloff's summary judgment ruling against the now 35-year-old Wade Robson found that the two Jackson-owned corporations, which were the remaining defendants in the case, were not liable for Robson's exposure to Jackson.

Wade Robson, seen here during an interview with NBC's Today program in 2013. Wade Robson, seen here during an interview with NBC's Today program in 2013. Photo: NBC

He did not rule on the credibility of Robson's allegations themselves.

Robson's attorney, Vince Finaldi, said he strongly disagreed and planned to appeal.

Robson enters court in May 2005 to testify on Jackson's behalf. Robson enters court in May 2005 to testify on Jackson's behalf. Photo: AP

Robson, who was born in Brisbane and has worked with Britney Spears and NSYNC, met Jackson when he was five years old.

He testified in Jackson's defence at the singer's 2005 criminal trial, saying he had spent the night at Jackson's Neverland Ranch more than 20 times and usually slept in Jackson's room, but Jackson never molested him. Jackson was acquitted in that trial.

Then in 2013 about four years after the singer's death, Robson sued the Jackson estate for what his lawyers described as molestation that spanned a seven-year period.

You will now receive updates from Breaking News Alert Breaking News Alert

Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

A court ruled in 2015 that Robson had filed his lawsuit too late to get any of Jackson's estate. That left two remaining defendants, both corporate entities owned by Jackson in his lifetime: MJJ Productions, and MJJ Ventures.

Michael Jackson gestures as he leaves court during his trial on child molestation charges in 2005. Michael Jackson gestures as he leaves court during his trial on child molestation charges in 2005. Photo: AP

The judge ruled on Tuesday that those two corporate defendants could not be held responsible for Robson's exposure to Jackson, the way a school or the Boy Scouts can be found liable for bringing together an abusive adult and a child victim.

Jackson estate attorney Howard Weitzman said in a statement that he "believes the court made the correct decision in dismissing Wade Robson's claim against it".

"In my opinion Mr Robson's allegations, made 20 plus years after they supposedly occurred and years after Mr Robson testified twice under oath - including in front of a jury - that Michael Jackson had never done anything wrong to him was always about the money rather than a search for the truth."

During the criminal trial, Robson bristled at testimony by other witnesses that they had seen Jackson molest him.

"I'm telling you nothing happened," Robson testified at the time when a prosecutor challenged him.

Another Robson lawyer said when his lawsuit was filed that stress and sexual trauma led the choreographer to finally accept that he had been molested by Jackson.

AP 

Read More




Leave A Comment

More News

World

Sydney Morning Herald RSS

FOX News

Breitbart News

ABC Radio Australia Pacific

Disclaimer and Notice:WorldProNews.com is not the owner of these news or any information published on this site.